Monday, February 11, 2008

Unbelievable Part II

It's a cold, wet day. It hasn't stopped pouring since I got up. My roommate is sick, and fled to her parents house as soon as I got up and started cooking breakfast (I didn't know she was sick at that point). So there I was, all alone for the day.

I ended up going for a walk, as is my habit, through the nearby forest. But because it is miserable, the paths were deserted also.

On my way home, I decided to stop by Safeway to grab a couple of things that we are running low on here. While I was walking there, I was complaining to Jesus (as one does...) about how alone I was feeling, and how I'd really like to see a friendly face. I had in mind a couple of people who live in the neighbourhood, and whom I've run into at Safeway before. I figured, a couple of minutes with one of these people, and I'd be good.

I got to the store, and kept my eyes open. But none of the familiar figures were there. "Figures..." I muttered to myself, and started looking in earnest for the things I needed. I was just heading to the bakery with half-formed ideas about buying lots of chocolate donuts when I passed the pharmacy. And who should be there but Kit, a long time friend, and my very first Kung Fu instructor. He was as surprised to see me as I him. We ended up talking for a couple minutes. He's just moved to the city from Hong Kong. Anyways, we made plans for a board game night, and he went back to work. It was so nice to see him.

It's funny. I wanted a quick meeting with a friendly face, and instead I got reconnected with an old friend who I had no idea lived anywhere near here. I am much more satisfied than if I had gotten what I'd asked for. Unbelievable.

No comments: