Thursday, February 21, 2008

Peace.

I sometimes find that the peace here is overwhelming.

Today the sun was out, the snow-capped peaks were glistening. The air was fresh and warm. Flowers are peaking out all around the city, bringing fragrance and beauty. There is a wonderful vitality.

I spent the morning reading in the sunshine. It was glorious. Then, I had a great conversation with my Greek tutor, about life and living. The bell was then rung, calling us to mid-day prayer. Right after prayer, I had lunch in the atrium. Since it is "Offering of the Arts" week, there was live music, and a relaxed and happy atmosphere. And another life-giving conversation. It was brilliant. Two hours of class, some study, more good conversation and supper finds me here. In the library working on my exegesis paper. Beautiful.

I also watched the movie "Wit" last night. If you've never seen it, you need to. It was made for TV, and so didn't get a lot of press, but I think it is the most beautiful movie I've ever seen. We watched as part of our curriculum, but I think I'm going to get a copy. Emma Thompson has an awe-inspiring performance. And it just happened to intersect with a lot of questions I've been having about academy, scholarship, and being human. I highly recommend this film.
Warning: Bring kleenex. Lots of it. I'm not one to cry during movies, and despite my best efforts I bawled like a baby. Even after it was finished. If you thought "Million Dollar Baby" was sad, you ain't seen nothing yet.

No comments: