Monday, April 6, 2009

Still Waiting


I think I'm finally getting what Lent is actually about. The rack-like tension of waiting. My culture has taught me to want to have instant gratification. Our instant e-mails mean we get answers nearly as soon as we ask the question. Now, however, I am waiting. And the answers are not coming. And that is not a bad thing. It is shaping me, like the burning blade being shaped and forged under the blacksmith's harsh hammer strokes. There is no easy way to do it.

Unfortunately, instead of waiting throughout Lent for the death and resurrection of Jesus, I have been waiting for answers in my own little world. Some days I remember to transfer my thought and my waiting to the greater story, but mostly I don't. That, however, will be my goal for this last week - to wait for the story of the passion week to be played out. To wait for the passion, the death, the resurrection.

To live again the story of how my faith came to be.

(The clock is the chronophage clock at Cambridge - the time devourer)

No comments: