Saturday, July 19, 2008

London : the day of three

I woke up late this morning. I think the adrenaline is wearing off and the jet lag is setting in finally! But I was in London by noon, at the National Art Gallery (also free in this great country!), and was looking at the masters! Donatello, Raphael, Da Vinci, Michaelangelo (yup, that's all four ninja turtles!), Monet, Rubens, Rembrandt, Tintoretto and many more! Fantastic! Also, dropped by the National Portrait Museum and saw Elizabeth I, and her court, John Bunyon, Milton, the only Shakespeare portrait by someone who has actually seen him, and all sorts of other things. Then I went back to the British Museum to see an important room I'd missed (the reading room) to find it closed in light of a new exhibition that will soon begin. Then I wanted to go over to the room with my Babylonian map of the world, but it was closing just as I got there and couldn't get into the gallery. Much sadness. But all was not lost! Because, I left and caught a double decker and sat front and centre all the way back to the train station home, so my trip there was not a complete waste.

Finally, my hosts took me out for a wonderful Indian meal at a local restaurant here in Staines. Yeay Lamb curry!

Tomorrow, I'll go to church with them, and then head directly off to Cambridge, so next time you hear from me, I should be there! Adios!

No comments: